Dancing is an excellent (and often overlooked) way to lose weight while picking up some new skills and having a lot of fun along the way. It’s something you can do your whole life, unlike many sports such as soccer or football and if you’re doing partnered dancing, it can also be a great way to connect (or reconnect) with a loved one, partner, husband or wife!
Dancing can be amazing aerobic exercise which can burn a lot of calories, increase strength, agility and flexibility! It will tone the body and make you look years younger as it’s also a great stress-buster! Always consult a healthcare professional before starting a new fitness or lifestyle regime. Maintain a healthy diet and attend dance classes at least 2 to 3 times a week for best weight loss results. Below are some of the top 7 dance classes to try!
1. Salsa Dancing: Get moving! Salsa is fast paced and a whole lot of fun! With the ongoing hip motion, fast footwork and extended Salsa songs, you won’t even realize you are doing a high-energy aerobic workout.
2. Ballroom Dancing: Elegant and classy, you can learn how to look like a million dollars on any dance floor. Learn the Tango, Foxtrot, Waltz, Paso Doble, Argentine Tango and more! Don’t be fooled, the slower the dance, the more you have to work on your balance, control and technique – making it a true workout at any age!
3. Latin Dancing: With many Latin styles to choose from, you will have the workout of your dreams switching from a cheeky Cha Cha to a swingin’ Rock-n-Roll or saucy Samba. The best part is, you will be working out with a partner so you will always have someone to hold you accountable and make sure you attend your classes!
4. Hip Hop Dancing: With a variety of coordinated head and arm movements, constant changes of body weight, floor work as well as arm and foot patterns, Hip Hop is a highly energetic dance style which will have you breaking a sweat!
5. Pole Dancing: There are entire businesses devoted to teaching pole dancing for aerobic and cardiovascular purposes only. Get lean, get stronger, and build confidence in your body.
6. Zumba: This aerobic workout is great for overall fitness. You are bound to enjoy the results as you enjoy the dances. Zumba incorporates salsa, rumba, merengue and hip hop moves to cause movement thus giving you a cardio workout.
7. Latin/Hip Hop DanceFit: These class styles are specifically formatted to get you in shape, tone the body and learn to dance – all in one. Each class targets 2 main muscle groups and the short dance routines are taught in a normal class environment, followed by a high intensity dance jam. Think interval training – in a dance class.